I need to be honest … I am nervous.
Last week I took 5 days off of running when I started to show signs of hamstring tendonitis in my right leg instead of running through the pain. I know I did the right thing by listening to my body and taking the time off however I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned.
Nervous because this is the longest race I will have been in so far and what if I don’t make it to the end even though I have run farther in the past?
Worried because until those 5 days off I had been logging some serious mileage (180+km in September and October) along with hill workouts and tempo runs and I could see significant improvement to my pace time. I don’t want to be disappointed with the goal time I have set for myself.
I know the only person I could disappoint with my finish time would be me. I know this race is going to be a PR because I have never raced this far before. I know I’m putting pressure on myself needlessly.
Although I know all of these things it didn’t take away that little voice inside me today saying “Seriously? Since when have you been a runner?”
When that little voice started I set a timer for 15 minutes, thought about all the reasons why I shouldn’t run this race and wrote them down.
Here is the list I came up with.
I could not think of one single reason NOT to run tomorrow but I could think of plenty of reason why I should.
- I am running because I trust my training
- I am running because I made a commitment to myself and my friend who offered to pace me
- I am running to challenge myself, no one else
- I am running because I get a tech shirt to add to my ever growing collection of running gear 😀
- I am running because I’m a kick-ass gal full of AWESOME-SAUCE
- I am running because I love it and don’t want to stop until I have crossed 26.2 off of my bucket list
I am running a 10k race on Sunday with butterflies in my stomach … I just hope they help reduce my pace time.
QOTD – “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”- Dean Karnazes
Do you get nervous before a race? What do you do to calm the butterflies?
What is the hardest race you have run? Do you have 26.2 on your bucket list?